For flute solo
Commissioned by Izumi Nikaido
Purchase the CD here.
Premiered by Izumi Nikaido in Hong Kong City Hall Recital Hall on 17 October 2013.
Performed by Izumi Nikaido in Recital Hall, Hong Kong City Hall on 11 January, 2015.
- Performed by Linda Chatterton in DiMenna Center for Classical Music, New York on Saturday, 8 April, 2017.
- Performed by Linda Chatterton in Lloyd Ultan Recital Hall, University of Minnesota, US on 21 April, 2017.
- Performed by Linda Chatterton in Mount Olive Lutheran Church, Minneapolis, US on 30 April, 2017.
- Performed by Linda Chatterton in Mount Calvary Academy of Music, Minneapolis, US on 14 May, 2017.
- Performed by Linda Chatterton in St Michael and All Angels Episcopal Church, 16 April, 2018.
- Performed by Linda Chatterton in Henderson State University, 21 April, 2018.
- Performed by Linda Chatterton in First Presbyterian Church of Kirkwood, 22 April, 2018.
For cello solo
- Performed by Asep Hedayat in Concert Hall Post Graduate Indonesian Institute of the Art (Indonesia) on 27 November, 2014 during the Yogyakarta Contemporary Music Festival 2014.
Commissioned by Izumi Nikaido, Die Lian Hua transforms the soloist into Li Qingzhao, a poetess of the Song Dynasty. Through singing and playing she expresses a yearning towards her lost husband.
From Linda Chatterton’s “Songs and Dances for Solo Flute”
In Hong Kong composer Yip Ho Kwen Austin’s Die Lian Hua, the flutist quite literally sings in Mandarin (sometimes while simultaneously playing the flute!) the words of renowned 12th century poetess Li Qingzhao. I think this is a spectacular new work for solo flute, and I’m excited to be able to present its debut recording.